Friday, December 11, 2009

Small School Libraries: What's the difference?

BACKBLOG #1 -- October, 2009

Small school libraries are the BEST! But, what is the difference between a small school library and a larger school library? Well, besides the number of books in the collection, type of collection, and the population the library services. . . okay--those seem like some pretty BIG differences to me!
I realize that small schools might not appeal to some, but I just want to put a "plug" in for the incredible opportunities that a library our size (roughly 5,000 books in our collection) has to offer.
Before I discuss this further, I want to go on record as saying that I know in my heart that the differences I am pointing out don't necessarily make our library better than others. . .the differences I am pointing out make our library, well, different and unique--an individuality that defines who we are and what we hope our libraries do!
Our library is not only small, it is also located in a small, rural community. The library itself is as unique and different as the population of students we serve daily. A rural library has its own distinct features, and when the library is in a rural school, the features that define it truly showcase the differences that to some, may not be obvious. Here are some features I feel are worth mentioning:

--A small school library must really know its service population. (true of any size school library--
don't you think?)

--A small school librarian must work closely with every teacher to make curricular purchasing
decisions when budgets are tight. (again--true of all school libraries?)

--A small school library must communicate effectively with parents. (true?)

--A small school library creates opportunities for student learning and tries to meet state and
local standards. (all school libraries better be doing this too!)

--A small school library must show a stance on its importance--validating the purpose and
survival of the library within the school system. (true especially in today's world)

I know that these differences aren't truly differences! They are reminders to all of us who have chosen school librarianship as our forte to remember what makes our jobs important. Even when we feel underappreciated and undervalued--we must show what sets us apart--what makes us a vital part of the school system. Don't ever forget to "toot your own horn!"

No comments:

Post a Comment